Some Universities and secondary schools view volunteering with Crawl as an internship program. If your school wants you to have a volunteering experience abroad, doing hands on care with the poor, then Crawl would be a good place to volunteer. Crawl is small enough to allow the volunteer to try new ideas and to conduct surveys, etc. Areas like teaching, medical care, social work are all part of volunteering with Crawl. These experiences are integral parts of volunteering with Crawl.
Crawl does not have a formal internship program where the volunteer receives constant supervision and detailed report for the learning institution. However if the internship requirements are flexible then Crawl does provide an opportunity for the volunteer to teach, tend wounds, interact with slum women, visit the living areas of the poor, etc. Students receive a certificate of completion at the end of the volunteering experience which states the length of time that the volunteer volunteered with Crawl and the areas where the volunteer served.
Possible internship interests:
1. Teaching English and other Indian languages
2. Studying Indian culture and tradition
3. Conducing a Social survey in various parts of Kolkata (Social-cultural condition, educational system, behavioral patterns, life style etc.)
4. Interacting with slum or street women on gender issues
5. Volunteers will get constant support from the organization to cope with the barrier of local language and possible cultural differences
Duration of the program: 2 weeks to 3 months
Working Hours: 20 - 25 hours per week (flexible as needed)
Work Place: In and around Kolkata city
Age: 16 years and above
Food: Three times daily (local food)
Accommodation: In a separate flat as a group/individual
The volunteers are invited to join internship program throughout the year.